January Roundup
We had our first snow, not just of 2017 but of the winter. What a huge change from ND. C was ecstatic. It snowed again later in the month, but that one melted by lunchtime.
JM was given some of his sisters chocolate chip cookie, a new food for him! He also got his first little cheese pizza, made with lots of love by C. He LOVES pizza.
Tried a new chicken Parmesan recipe from the Pioneer Woman. It's lighter and in her 16 minute meals collection. Everyone here liked it.
Recipe:
Ingredients
One 24-ounce jar good-quality marinara sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
12 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup shredded fresh mozzarella
Directions
Preheat the broiler to medium. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Combine the marinara sauce and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, half the Parmesan, half the parsley and some salt and pepper. Put the beaten egg whites in a separate shallow dish. Coat the chicken tenders in the egg whites first, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package instructions.
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken, scatter the mozzarella and remaining Parmesan evenly over top and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
Drain the pasta. Serve with the chicken and garnish with the remaining parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
This month I read Persuasion by Jane Austen and Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. I started Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West. I'd forgotten how much I really love Persuasion; I had a hard time putting it down. 5 stars. Gilead was 4 stars; very good but a different type of writing. Very rambling and slow paced in a good way and on purpose. I loved Upstairs as soon as I started it... I also started a new devotional this year. The Songs of Jesus by Timothy Keller. Thanks Mom, I love it!
The kids have been reading a lot as well. I discovered there are Little House on the Prarie books for toddlers! C loved the one I borrowed from the library. She also is into Peppa Pig, Little Critter, and Elephant and Piggy. JM likes the BabyLit board book, particularly Sherlock Holms, the Usborn touchy feely books, and anything you sing (ie. The Wheels on the Bus book).
The kids latest game is "race". JM gets in his walker and C rides her elephant and they chase each other around the house howling and laughing like banshees. C hates it when JM is upset or cries; she fake laughs her heart out in an attempt to get him to smile.
JM continues his erratic and not great night sleep. C has been cutting her 2 year molars and added a night of not sleeping in this month as well. She's also been in quite a defiant and limit testing mood. I love my kids, but I could use an unbroken nights sleep and a little (a lot) less attitude.
Grandma Cathy came to help me during my no-lifting the kids weeks in early January.
No comments:
Post a Comment