Monday, October 25, 2010

Greetings from base!

It has been a looooooooong five days. Hang on, five days?! Where did five whole days go? It seems like I blinked and we went from our little Apartment, to the house on base. Well... maybe not blinked. There is a reason I'm tired and sore; we've done a lot of work during the past few days.

Let me rewind. Thursday.

The movers came at 8:30am while J was gone signing the lease. They packed until early afternoon. Interesting fellows... I mean, I just don't think it's asking too much to demand that people wash their hands after using the bathroom and before packing up every single item in your kitchen. (Gross!) Our growth group leaders had us over for dinner that night. It was delicious and much appreciated!

The same two interesting fellows returned Friday morning while I was getting the keys to the house, dropping off the cat (who by the way, majorly FREAKED out during his 15 minutes in the car and was a disaster by the time we arrived) and filling the new fridge/freezer with our cold food. The moving guys brought with them interesting fellow number three and had the trucked loaded by noon.

J and I had the cars packed, the apartment cleaned and the keys turned in by 12:30pm and we waved goodbye to the apartment!

The truck was unloaded ... sometime before dinner Friday afternoon. I was so busy unpacking I didn't really notice when they guys and their truck left. The major casualty was an end table. Not sure how, but it looks like they just ripped off one of the legs! Seriously guys, it was a 10 mile drive and you broke my furniture. Grrr. Another growth group friend (who also attends my women's Bible study and lives just down the hill now) brought us dinner Friday; again it was so welcome and tasty.

But for better or worse (mostly better) we are FINALLY here. The move that began last December, almost a year ago, is complete. We both love the house and are finding it hard to figure out what to do with all the space. We already know two neighbors on our street because they are families from J's squadron.

Every single. solitary box has either been unpacked, or opened and deemed non-open-able. (Christmas trees, etc.) Now the organizing and decorating begins. I already have a box of things to donate to the thrift shop. New curtains have been ordered. Things are coming together. Give it another week or two and I think the vast majority of the settling in will be complete. And can we believe it, we should be in the same place for at least 2.5 years to come!!!

The only other exciting news here is that it rained for four days straight! I think rainy season is starting. After nearly five months of drought, it is welcome! I just think it's hilarious it waited to rain until the week we moved.

Keep J in your prayers, no rest for the weary. After the past few exhausting days, he is back out saving the world.

PS- I had my first C17 ride in the midst of our move! Details and pictures to come.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're in your new house and you'll be settled for a while now! Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete


Our life together begins

Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers