Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nugget

We have christened the house! We had our first Friday pizza night! it was delicious, if I do say so myself ... and I do!

Saturday we did a little shopping. We bought some cute new outdoor cushions for our chairs on the balcony, stopped at the outlets so Jared could try on some Oakley's (which he is getting through a military sales site for SUPER cheap), and went to Nugget, aka. heaven.

Nugget is a high end market that specializes in fresh, local and organic products. Everything from produce, to an entire aisle of organic herbs and spices made in San Francisco, to cleaning products and even bath and body items. It was beautiful. They have a great deli, gourmet bakery, fresh seafood and quite an immense wine selection. Oh yes, and tea. Lots and lots of tea. I could have stayed there all day. In fact, if they would let me, I probably could bring in a cot and stay for good. Jared on the other hand was not that thrilled, and he was ready for me to be ready to go!
Jared is not into my green/organic plan. He thinks if nothing has killed him yet then he'll be fine, maybe the chemicals will even preserve him and make him last longer! He also thinks it's expensive and a bit too much on the "hippie" side of things. Mr. meat and potatoes, I love the NRA, drill for oil and bomb everyone is going to take some coaxing about all this "healthy" and "weird" stuff. But I know he'll come around.
I mean, who could be more 'meat and potatoes, I love the NRA, drill for oil and bomb everyone' than me? Yet, I am still embracing being more healthy, green, organic, local, sustainable, etc.
Please note, 'meat and potatoes, I love the NRA, drill for oil and bomb everyone' is a (slight) and humorous exaggeration/stereotype!
Anyway, I am going to have to take some time and go through the commissary to figure out exactly what products I can get there and what I can't and do some cost comparison. I know it will be more expensive to shop for things at Nugget, but I am willing to do it for some of the products that I know I am not going to find on base! It will be a new project! Perhaps I shall subscribe to the Sunday paper, read the sale add and clip coupons to help keep costs down. It does sound right up my alley.
We bought some delicious artisan bread from their bakery and fresh mozzarella to make more homemade bruschetta for last nights dinner. Delicious!
Oh, and this is HUGE! They sell Post Blueberry Morning. AHHH! If you know me, you will understand. Also, I am more than happy to start a mail order business for those of you not lucky enough to have a store that sells this amazing cereal near you.
OK, enough about the fancy grocery store.
Today has been another great day! Jared and I tried a new church this morning. It's about 5 miles from our apartment (in the direction of the base, so that's good!) and is a non-denominational Christian Church. They have two services on Sunday mornings, one at 9, which is the one we went to, and one at 10:45. The people were so friendly and welcoming! We couldn't even get inside without people greeting us and chatting, etc. We were escorted to the visitors center, given lots of information, and the service was really nice. They had a great band, we got to hear from several of the missionaries they support, had a sermon and found out that they do communion every Sunday. We have one more church we would like to try, but we were both pretty impressed with this mornings pick! The website is below.
This afternoon Jared is golfing with Will (fellow C-17 copilot) and once they are done are heading back to our house for a cookout. It is sunny and 80 and a perfect day for it! We are having burgers, corn on the cob, salad, baked beans and homemade apple turnovers. I can't wait for them to get back here!
In other news we leave for vacation on Wednesday! It'll be our first one in two years, so we are looking forward to that.

3 comments:

  1. That store looks AMAZING!!! I'd love spending hours there with you! You know you've reached adulthood when you get excited about grocery stores. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. couponmom.com might be something to check out for coupons for local stores. it really has a lot esp. in the "other" sections like toilet paper, paper towel, etc. and PS we are SHOPPING ONLY HERE when I come to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, don't rule out the farmers markets yet! ;)

    ReplyDelete


Our life together begins

Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers